Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's It All About, Royal Pines?

WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?

Each week, Reglar Wiglar Magazine asks a band, artist or musician: What’s it all about? What's the point and why go on? This week we ask Chicago's regal evergreens, Royal Pines...

What’s it all about?
This is our first show at The Empty Bottle in a few years and first weekend show there. We play in the middle after Ornery Little Darlings and before The Greenhornes.

What’s the point?

I've been playing drums in bands since I was a teenager, but Royal Pines is the first band I play guitar, write and sing all the songs. We've been together for over 6 years and we play what I like to call Gothic Garage Rock or Heavy Wood (not metal). It's a blend of heavy garage, country and pyschedelic with socially satirical, black comedy, absurdist lyrics. It started out with more folky songs, but we've gotten heavier and darker. We might get more mellow again if we stick around long enough.

I've had a deep obsession for rock 'n' roll since I was very young and when I wonder what the point is (which I often do) it just won't let me quit. It's still an obsession; a fun one. We also have a new guitar player, Fred Brown, who has injected fresh enthusiasm into it so it feels new again. I really love performing even if it's just for a handfull of people, which it often is. My main obsession is for writing songs and I want people to hear them and hopefully enjoy them. Along with Fred Brown, bassist Brendan O'Mara and drummer Joe Gerdeman really make the songs hum.

Why go on?
We've released two full-length records with almost enough material for a third. We're still plugging the Come Forth album which has been out for over a year, but we plan on going back to the studio in the spring or summer. Who knows how long it will take to get something out though. I would love to have someone else put it out for us, but we'll do it ourselves again if we have to. I'm hoping for 2013. 

SATURDAY, 3/3/12
The Greenhornes
, Royal Pines, Ornery Little Darlings @ Empty Bottle, 1035 N. Western Ave

No comments: