Tuesday, May 31, 2011

WORK @ HOME!!! Part 4

STOP Read Part 1Part 2 & Part 3 first!

Again Joe asks me for my full name and mailing address which I had already provided to the company twice in addition to my résumé. I did not re-confirm my info or respond to this particular e-mail. In fact, it would be the last e-mail I would receive from either Joe or Daniel. From here on out, I would be communicating with my Supervisor via Instant Messenger. Every morning when I logged onto Yahoo IM, not at the scheduled 8pm start time, but usually around 10am, I would have this message waiting for me:

Joe
how are you this morning

To which I would always reply: good. And that would be it for the day. This would go on for days at a time. I had no reason to suspect that there was anything legitimate about this "job" but I didn't really see Joe's angle yet. It was more out of curiosity that I logged into Yahoo. It was never at the scheduled time, and some days I would forget to log on all together. Joe didn’t seem to mind. This went on for a week or two and then one morning I logged in only to be greeted by this:

8:16AM
Joe
Good Moning
How are you doing today...

10:17AM
Joe
where have you been/.
BUZZ!!!
?

10:19AM
chris.auman
I've been busy working on my assignments and I guess I forgot to sign in to yahoo this morning. Sorry about that, boss.

8:16AM
Joe
you need to always stay online

10:20AM
chris.auman
ok, sorry.  What's up?

10:20AM
Joe
so how are you doing with your assignment?

10:21AM
chris.auman
Good. It's a tough one, but I am making good progress.

10:22AM
Joe
ok

The fact that I had not been assigned anything, didn’t seem to faze either one of us. It was just important for him that I be on-line from 8AM to 1PM. I had already decided that Joe was probably not even in this hemisphere but more likely somewhere in Western Africa at a crowded Internet cafe filled with like-minded "Supervisors" trying to think of new ways to import more Yankee dollars. At any rate, in spite of this reprimand from the boss, I made no effort to sign in earlier than 10AM, in fact, I found it difficult to even sign in that early. Usually he didn’t seem to mind, here is an example of a typical instant message from Joe:

10:30AM
Joe
Hello
How are you doing

10:30AM
chris.auman
hello.
good

10:30AM
Joe
ok
let me know if you need anything

10:31AM
chris.auman
ok.

After several more weeks of this, Joe must have decided that the hook was sufficiently baited and it was time to reel in the fish. I received these instructions:

10:22AM
Joe
Good Morning
How are you
Will update you on primary assignments shortly
The Company has introduced a Domestic Petty Cash Payment; the purpose for this fund is to help employees solve any domestic or emergency assignments that may require the use of funds. E.g. Shipping Payments, Packaging/Tapes, Postages and any other related domestic Payments.

You are required take 5-10 mins of your time to set up an account with www.FaceCard.com to received a Prepaid Face MasterCard for this purpose, click the link to signup http://members.facecard.com/get.php

Email me with the account login details to enable the company credit the account with funds as as soon as you are through with the signup.

Let me know if you need anything
brb
  
brb meaning Be Right Back. Joe ended almost every IM exchange with brb, even though he never was. Even though I had no intention of performing this task, I replied back asking how much I should put on the card. I received no reply.

Tomorrow: WORK @ HOME Part 5

1 comment:

sharmila said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.